General Morphology Reference List
|This reference list concerns books and articles in English on General Morphology, its methodology and applications. It is not, of course, complete. It will be updated periodically and we welcome any relevant additions. Contact us at:
- Álvarez, A. (2014). "The Norris Brothers Ltd. morphological approach to engineering design - an early example of applied morphological analysis." Acta Morphological Generalis, Vol. 3, No. 2. [Download PDF]
- Arciszewski, T. "Decision-Making Parameters and Their Computer-Aided Morphological Analysis for Wind Bracings in Steel Skeleton Structures". Advances in Tall Buildings, Hutchinson Ross Publishing Company, 1985.
- Arciszewski, T.: "Mathematical Modelling of Morphological Analysis". Mathematical Modelling, Volume 8, 1987, Pages 52-56.
- Ayres, Robert U. "Morphological Analysis." Technological Forecasting and Long Range Planning. New York: McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1969, Chap. 5, pp. 72-93.
- Bailey, K.: Typologies and Taxonomies - An Introduction to Classification Techniques, Sage University Papers: Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks (1994).
- Bridgewater, A. V.: "Morphological Methods - Principles and Practice." Technological Forecasting. R. V. Arnfield, ed. Conference on Technological Forecasting, University of Strathclyde, 1968. Edinburgh: University Press, 1969, pp. 241-252.
- Bridgewater, A. V. "Long Range Process Design and Morphological Analysis." The Chemical Engineer, April 1968, pp. CE 75-CE 81.
- Coyle, R.G.: Practical Strategy: A Structured Approach and Techniques, Pearson Education, London, 2004.
- Coyle, R. G., Crawshay, R. and Sutton, L.: Futures Assessments by Field Anomaly Relaxation, Futures 26(1), 25-43 (1994).
- Coyle, R. G., McGlone, G. R.: Projection Scenarios for South-east Asia and the South-west Pacific, Futures 27(1), 65-79 (1995).
- Coyle, R.G. and Yong, Y. C.: A Scenario Projection for the South China Sea. Futures 28 (3), 269-283 (1996).
- Dartnall, J. & Johnston, S. "Trend-Morph-PDS: A Methodology for Innovative (Mechanical) Engineering Design". ASME 7th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis. Volume 3 (2004), Manchester.
- de Waal, A. & Ritchey, T.: Combining morphological analysis and Bayesian networks for strategic decision support, ORiON, Volume 23 (2), pp. 105–121 (2007). [Download PDF]
- Doty, D. H. & Glick, W.: "Typologies as a Unique Form of Theory Building", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 19, No.2 (1994) (Argues -- successfully -- that Typology Analysis is not simply a categorization method, but is a theory building and hypothesis generation method)
- Eriksson, T. & Ritchey, T.: Scenario Development Using Computerized Morphological Analysis, Presented at the Winchester International OR Conference, England, 2002. [See Ritchey, 2009 below]
- Gerardin, L: "Morphological Analysis: A Method for Creativity." A Guide to Practical Technological Forecasting. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1973.
- Grant, D.P. "How to Construct a Morphological Box". Journal of Design Methods and Theories, Vol. 11, No. 3. (1977).
- Gregory, S. A. "Morphological Methods: Antecedents and Associates." Technological Forecasting, Some Techniques. Symposium at Aston University, Birmingham, September 9 and 10, 1969.
- Gregory, S.A. "The Shape of Ends and Means: Some Aspects of Morphological Analysis". Proceedings of ASLIB Conference, Oxford, U.K.(1974)
- Hall, Arthur D. "Three-Dimensional Morphology of Systems Engineering." IEEE Transactions on Systems Science and Cybernetics, April 1969, pp. 156-160.
- Hussain, N., Garvey, B. & Ritchey, T. "SWOT Analysis using General Morphological Analysis: Application to the Specials Sector for new Business Drivers". European Journal of Industrial Pharmacy, Volume 15, December 2013. [Download PDF]
- Isakson, S. & Ritchey, T.: "Protection against Sabotage of Nuclear Facilities: Using Morphological Analysis in Revising the Design Basis Threat". Adapted from a Study for the Swedish Nuclear Power Inspectorate, and presented to the 44th Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management - Phoenix, Arizona, July 2003 [Download PDF]
- Jones, H. (1976). "Morphology and creativity in technological forecasting". R&D Management, Volume 6, Issue 3, pp. 125-130.
- Morén, L., Ritchey, T. & Stenström, M. Handling of future human actions in the safety assessment of a deep nuclear repository. Edited translation of the
Swedish report SKB R-98-54 to the Swedish Nuclear Fuel and Waste Management Co., October 2006 [Download PDF]
- Müller-Merbach, H.: The Use of Morphological Techniques for OR-Approaches to Problems. In: Operations Research 75. Amsterdam, New York, Oxford. North-Holland Publishing Company, pp. 127-139 (1976).
- Norris, K. W.: "The Morphological Approach to Engineering Design." Conference on Design
Methods. J. C. Jones and D. G. Thornley, eds. Elmsford, N.Y.: Pergamon Press, Inc., 1963,
- Ostertagova, E., Ková, J., Ostertag, O., Malega, P. (2012). "Application of Morphological Analysis in the Design of Production Systems", Procedia Engineering, Vol. 48, pp. 507-512.
- Rhyne, R.: Whole-Pattern Futures Projection, Using Field Anomaly Relaxation, Technological Forecasting and Social Change 19, 331-360 (1981).
- Rhyne, R.: Field Anomaly Relaxation - The Arts of Usage, Futures 27 (6), 657-674 (1995a).
- Rhyne, R.: Evaluating Alternative Indonesian Sea-Sovereignty Systems, Informs: Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (1995b).
- Rickards, T. "Designing for Creativity: A State of the Art Review". Design Studies, Vol. 11, No. 5, U.K. (1980).
- Ritchey, T. (1991)."Analysis and Synthesis - On Scientific Method based on a Study by Bernhard Riemann". Systems Research 8(4), 21-41 (1991). Download reprint: [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (1997). "Scenario Development and Risk Management using Morphological Field Analysis". Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Information Systems (Cork: Cork Publishing Company) Vol. 3:1053-1059 (1997).
- Ritchey, T. (1998). "Fritz Zwicky, 'Morphologie' and Policy Analysis", Paper presented at the 16th Euro Conference on Operational Analysis, Brussels, July 1998.
- Ritchey, T. (1998). "Morphological Analysis - A general method for non-quantified modeling". Adapted from a paper presented at the 16th Euro Conference on Operational Analysis, Brussels, July 1998. [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T.(2002). "Modeling Complex Socio-Technical Systems using Morphological Analysis", Adapted from an address to the Swedish Parliamentary IT Commission, Stockholm, December 2002. [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2003). "Nuclear Facilities and Sabotage: Using Morphological Analysis as a Scenario and Strategy Development Laboratory", Adapted from a Study for the Swedish Nuclear Power Inspectorate, and presented to the 44th Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management - Phoenix, Arizona, July 2003. [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2004). "Strategic Decision Support using Computerised Morphological Analysis", Presented at the 9th International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium, Copenhagen, September 14-16, 2004.[Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2004). "Wicked Problems. Structuring Social Messes with Morphological Analysis". Adapted from a lecture given at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm.
- Ritchey, T. (2005). "Futures Studies using Morphological Analysis". Adapted from an Article for the UN University Millennium Project: Futures Research Methodology Series. [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2006). "Problem Structuring using Computer-Aided Morphological Analysis".
Journal of the Operational Research Society (2006) 57, 792-801. Available as a post-peer-review, pre-copyedit version: [Download PDF]. The definitive publisher-authenticated version is available online at: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/jors/journal/v57/n7/abs/2602177a.html
- Ritchey, T. (2006). "Modeling Multi-Hazard Disaster Reduction Strategies with Computer-Aided Morphological Analysis". Reprint from the Proceedings of the 3rd International ISCRAM Conference, Newark, NJ (USA). [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2007). "Threat Analysis for the Transport of Radioactive Material using Morphological Analysis". Presented at the 15th International Symposium on the Packaging and Transportation of Radioactive Materials, PATRAM 2007, Miami; later published in Packaging, Transport, Storage & Security of Radioactive Material, Volume 20, Number 1, 2009, London: Maney Publishing. [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T.(2009). "Developing Scenario Laboratories with Computer-Aided Morphological Analysis". 14th International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium, Washington DC. [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2010). "Specifying Training and Instruction Requirements using Morphological Analysis". Paper presented at ICELW 2010, Columbia University, New York [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2011). Wicked Problems/Social Messes: Decision support Modelling with Morphological Analysis. Springer: Berlin.
- Ritchey, T. (2012). "Outline for a Morphology of Modelling Methods: Contribution to a General Theory of Modelling". Acta Morphologica Generalis, Vol.1 No.1. [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (1012). "On The Formal Properties of Morphological Models". Acta Morphologica Generalis, Vol.1 No.2 (2012).
- Ritchey, T. (2012). BOOK REVIEW: "Fritz Zwicky: An Extraordinary Astrophysicist". Acta Morphologica Generalis, Vol.1 No.3 (2012). [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2013). "Morphological Gap-Analysis: Using GMA to find the Δ". Acta Morphologica Generalis, Vol.2 No.2 (2013). [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T. (2014). "Four Models about Decision Support Modeling". Acta Morphologica Generalis, Vol.3 No.1 (2014). [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T., Stenström, M. & Eriksson, H.: Using Morphological Analysis to Evaluate Preparedness for Accidents Involving Hazardous Materials. Study for the Swedish Rescue Services Board, presented at the 4th International Conference for Local Authorities, Shanghai, November, 2002. [Download PDF]
- Ritchey, T., Lövkvist-Andersen, A., Olsson, R. & Stenström, M.: Modelling Society's Capacity to Manage Extraordinary Events. Developing a Generic Design Basis (GDB) Model for Extraordinary Societal Events using Computer-Aided Morphological Analysis. Adapted from a paper presented at the SRA (Society for Risk Analysis) Conference in Paris 15-17 November, 2004. [Download PDF]
- Royston, G. "Morphological Analysis and the Development of the Brewing Process." Technological Forecasting, Some Techniques. Symposium at Aston University, Birmingham, September 9 and 10, 1969.
- Roy, A. & Garg, J.K. (2024). "Risk Management Using Morphological Field Analysis: A Case Study From Nellore District, India", in A.P. Pradeepkumar, F.J. Behr, F.T. Illiyas and E. Shaji (eds.): Proceedings of the 2nd Disaster, Risk and Vulnerability Conference 2014. Dept of Geology, Uni Kerala, Trivandrum, India.
- Stenström, M. & Ritchey, T.: Scenario and Strategy Laboratories for an Extended Producer Responsibility System. Adaption of a report to the Swedish Ministry of the Environment, April 2004. [Download PDF]
- Stenström, M., Westrin, P. & Ritchey, T.: Living with UXO -- Using Morphological Analysis for Decision Support in Phasing out Military Firing Ranges. Summary of Report to the Swedish Armed Forces UXO Program, Stockholm, March 2004. [Download PDF]
- Stöckli, A. & Müller, R.. Fritz Zwicky – An Extraordinary Astrophysicist. Cambridge Scientific Publishers, Cambridge, 2011. ISBN 978-1-904868-78-1
- Taylor, T. (1967). "Preliminary survey on non-national nuclear threats". Stanford Research Institute Technical Note SSC-TN-5205-83.
- Voros J. Morphological prospection: Profiling the shapes of things to come. Foresight 2009;11(6).
- Watts, R. D.: "Some Theoretical Principles in Morphological Analysis." Technological Forecasting, Some Techniques. Symposium at Aston University, Birmingham, September 9 and 10, 1969.
- Weber, R.G. & Condor, S.S. (1989). "Conceptual design using a synergistically compatible morphological matrix", FIE '98 Proceedings of the 28th Annual Frontiers in Education, Vol. 01, pp. 171-176
- Wild, P.: "Fritz Zwicky", in Morphological Cosmology, Lecture Notes in Physics, Volume 332, p. 391-398
- Williams, P. & Bowden, F. (2013). "Dynamic Morphological Exploration". Proceeding of the 22nd National Conference of the Australian Society for Operations Research, Adelaide, Australia. [Available at: http://www.asor.org.au/conferences/asor2013/J7/williams.pdf.]
- Wills, R. J., and Hawthone, E. P. "Morphological Methods Applied to Metalworking Processes." In Technological Forecasting, Some Techniques. Symposium at Aston University, Birmingham,September 9 and 10, 1969.
- Wissema, J.G (1976). "Morphological analysis: Its application to a company TF investigation", Futures, Volume 8, Issue 2, pp.146-153
- Yoon, B., & Park, Y. (2007): Development of New Technology Forecasting Algorithm: Hybrid Approach for Morphology Analysis and Conjoint Analysis of Patent Information, Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on, 54, p. 588-599.
- Zwicky, F.: "Morphology and Nomenclature of Jet Engines", Aeronautical Engineering Review. Vol. 6, No 6., June 1947, s. 49-50.
- Zwicky, F.: "The Morphological Method of Analysis and Construction", Courant. Anniversary Volume. New York: Intersciences Publish., 1948, pp. 461-470.
- Zwicky, F.: "Morphology of aerial propulsion", Helvetica Physica Acta. Vol. XXI, Heft 5, 1948, S. 299-340.
- Zwicky, F.: "Morphological Astronomy", The Observatory. Vol. 68, No. 845, Aug. 1948, S. 121-143. [Download in PDF] Thanks to The Obseravtory.
- Zwicky, F.: Morphology of Scientific Research and Engineering Invention, 28.3.1951 New York, Pestalozzi Foundation of America and Alumni of the Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich.
- Zwicky, F. "Tasks we face." J. Amer. Rocket Science, 84, (March, 1951)
- Zwicky, Fritz. Morphology of Propulsive Power. Monographs on Morphological Research, No. 1 Pasadena, California: Society for Morphological Research, 1962.
- Zwicky, F.: "Morphology of Justice in the Space Age and the Boundaries of Outer Space", Astronautica Acta, Vol. 14, 1969, S. 615-626.
- Zwicky, F.: Discovery, Invention, Research - Through the Morphological Approach, Toronto: The Macmillian Company (1969).
- Zwicky, F. & Wilson A. (eds.): New Methods of Thought and Procedure: Contributions to the Symposium on Methodologies. Berlin: Springer (1967). [Download Zwicky's contribution, PDF] Thanks to the Swiss Fritz Zwicky Foundation.
Morphological Analysis Reference List